Last Edited: Jan 2017
At U8, the program focuses on:
The Long Term Player Development (LTPD) Stage 1: Active Start
- Physical – Provide the environment for learning proper fundamental movement skills such as running, jumping, twisting, kicking, throwing and catching.
- Technical – The player and the ball: Running with the ball, dribbling, controlling, kicking and shooting.
- Mental – Fun, fascination, and passion for play.
Soccer contributes to the well-being of children by engaging them in the sport while teaching them basic movements.
The LTPD Stage 2: FUNdamentals.
- Physical – Develop the ABCs of movement: agility, balance, co-ordination and speed, as well as running, jumping, twisting, kicking, throwing and catching.
- Technical – Movement exercises/games designed to promote a feel for the ball: gaining ball control in receiving passes, dribbling, passing less than 25m, kicking the ball forward, and shooting on goal.
- Tactical – Small children are egocentric – playing the ball is the most important objective. However, they now need to be introduced to co-operation between players. They gain understanding of the game through playing situations.
- Mental – Basic awareness of environment to build game intelligence and decision making.
At this stage, individual player development is paramount. Coaches and teachers stimulate a learning environment where the atmosphere is "Freedom and Fun."
This age group will have the option of benefitting from the Academy Grassroots Training which includes technical development and games run by club coaches and senior youth Cobra players for U5-U8 players in the club.
|Level of Play:||
Players play 5 aside (5v5) games.
All players are evaluated during a mandatory evalaution day in order to provide the ability to balance the Development teams and/or to determine invitation to the Junior Academy.
After all players have been evaluated, players will invited to the Junior Academy or placed into balanced teams across the develoment league.
Extra Training Opportunity - players have the option of training with the staff/technical coaches through the Academy Grassroots Training program, where they can also be invited into the Junior Academy throughout the year.
|Season Length:||Mid-May to Mid-August|
Games and Practices:
Extra Training Opportunity:
May 23rd, 2017
May 23rd, 2017
June 9,10,11, 2017
Player Registration Fee:
On or before March 31st: $185 (early bird discount)
After March 31st: $215
Cost includes full uniform, a soccer ball, and year-end memento.
Volunteer fee: $50 per family (mandatory fee, refundable after volunteering)