Last Edited: January 2017
The Long Term Player Development (LTPD) Stage 1: Active Start
- Physical – Provide the environment for learning proper fundamental movement skills such as running, jumping, twisting, kicking, throwing and catching.
- Technical – The player and the ball: Running with the ball, dribbling, controlling, kicking and shooting.
- Tactical – None.
- Mental – Fun, fascination, and passion for play.
Soccer contributes to the well-being of children by engaging them in the sport while teaching them basic movements. At this introductory level, the objective is to get moving and to keep active.
The LTPD Stage 2: FUNdamentals.
- Physical – Develop the ABCs of movement: agility, balance, co-ordination and speed, as well as running, jumping, twisting, kicking, throwing and catching.
- Technical – Movement exercises/games designed to promote a feel for the ball: gaining ball control in receiving passes, dribbling, passing less than 25m, kicking the ball forward, and shooting on goal.
- Tactical – Small children are egocentric – playing the ball is the most important objective. However, they now need to be introduced to co-operation between players. They gain understanding of the game through playing situations.
- Mental – Basic awareness of environment to build game intelligence and decision making.
At this stage, individual player development is paramount. Coaches and teachers stimulate a learning environment where the atmosphere is "Freedom and Fun."
This age group will have the option of benefitting from the Academy Grassroots Training which includes technical development and games run by club coaches and senior youth Cobra players for U5-U8 players in the club. These sessions offer a fun environment for skill development, placing an emphasis on the development of individual soccer skills combined with mobility, agility, and coordination, as well as, of course, game play. The program will look to properly introduce the basic techniques of soccer as well as the fundamental movement skills integral to children’s development at these ages, all in a fun and positive environment, as outlined by the Long Term Player Development Program.
U5-U7 (Players are grouped by gender)
|Level of Play:||
Players play 4 aside (4v4) at U7. At U5 and U6 games will be split into 3v3 when possible.
Open to all.
|Season Length:||Mid-May to Mid-August (12 weeks)|
Sessions are approximately 1 hour in length, once a week. Each session is a combination of training and small sided games. Click here for overview.
Extra Training Opportunity:
Games and Practices:
June 9, 10, 11 - 2017
Player Registration Fee:
On or before March 31st: $180 (early bird discount)
After March 31st: $210
Cost includes full uniform, a soccer ball, and year-end memento (distributed through coaches)
Volunteer fee: $50 per family (mandatory fee, refundable after volunteering)