Last updated: February 2019
Click to view the Mandatory Certifications for CUSC Team Staff for Competitive and Recreational Divisions.
- Advanced coaching positions for experienced coaches and/or former players (compensated).
- Entry level coaching positions for youth and young adult leaders (volunteer/compensated)
- Entry level coaching positions for parents/volunteers.
Required for All Team Staff
1) PERSONAL REFERENCE CHECKS
As part of the security process for volunteering with CUSC, Competitive Coaches, Assistant Coaches and Managers must provide CUSC with three (3) personal references who are not related to you. Completed reference checks are valid for as long as you volunteer with CUSC.
If you haven't previously sent in your personal references, send an email email@example.com with the subject line "Personal References".
Your email should include the following information:
- your first name, last name, age, gender and team name, and your position on the team.
- the names of 3 indivduals (not related to you) and their home, work and/or cell phone numbers. Please let these individuals know someone from CUSC will be contacting them.
2) POLICE RECORDS CHECK - Level 3 - Vulnerable Sector Police Check
Competitive Coaches and Managers & Recreational Coaches (U9+), once accepted to the position, you will need to pass a Level 3 Vulnerable Sector Police Check. This Police Records Check is valid for 5 years of continuous Coaching or Managing within CUSC.
If you were not a Coach or Manager with CUSC last year, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Request for Invitation".
Your email should have your first name, last name, email address and the language (English or French) you wish to receive the invitation in. Also include the age group, gender and team position you will be volunteering for. Once processed, you will receive an invitation email from "myBackCheck.com".
3) VOLUNTEER APPLICATION
All Team Staff (i.e. Coach, Assistant Coach, Manager, Assistant Manager, Treasurer, Equipment Manager) as applicable must fill in a volunteer application. To do this:
- sign in to your PowerUp account;
- click on the Volunteer Now! tab in the left menu bar (if using a computer); and
- click on the Apply Now button next to 2018-2019 Fall-Winter.
Mandatory Courses for All Competitive Coaches
LTPD Coaching Courses
The Canadian Soccer Association’s NCCP workshops will give you the confidence to succeed as you enter the ranks of certified coaches in Ontario. Each level features education on age-appropriate coaching for each level of play.
Registration for all NCCP coaching courses are done online at this link: http://www.coachcentre.ca/
The emphasis of this course is on technical and tactical development within a small sided game environment (6v6, 7v7, 8v8).
- How to teach basic principles of play
- How to establish training ethics and discipline in a fun and challenging environment.
- How to communicate to this specific age group.
- This is a key time to train speed, flexibility and skills and understand your role in developing these skills.
Course description: 16 hours (2 days). A interactive workshop led by an expert facilitator with years of experience coaching soccer. You'll spend time in the classroom and on the field practicing drills. There are vibrant deliberations regarding parent management and guidance on all safety requirements.
The emphasis of this course is on technical and tactical development within the 11-a-side game environment.
- How to plan and deliver effective, enjoyable, age-appropriate practices and how to provide feedback to your players.
- How to be able to better understand the role of the coach, and the developmental stage of the players you are coaching.
- How to provide a safe practice/game environment for your players.
Course description: 16 hours (2 days). An interactive workshop led by an expert facilitator with years of experience coaching soccer. You'll spend time in the classroom and on the field practicing drills. There are vibrant deliberations regarding parent management and guidance on all safety requirements.
All CUSC Coaches and Managers must have the following three (3) courses:
1) Respect in Sport for Activity Leaders
The Respect in Sport (RIS) program was introduced in 2011 to provide coaches with invaluable information about coaching and essential approaches around working with youngsters in an appropriately respectful and nurturing coaching environment. RIS is an e-learning program for coaches, trainers, managers and any adult with a supervisory role over youth involved in soccer. It is designed as a tool to assist participants in identifying and dealing with abuse, neglect, harassment and bullying in sport.
All Competitive and U11-U18 Recreational Coaches must complete the “Respect in Sport for Activity Leaders” program. We are hoping that coaches will recognize the long-term value of the program because of the values it promotes and also what it teaches regarding important practical guidelines for youth coaches.
The online course costs $30. The curriculum is broken into six (6), 30 minute modules and includes audio/visual presentations, quizzes and printable handouts. Another beneficial feature of the program is that it does not need to be done all at once; it can be completed at your leisure.
Please email email@example.com for a code to take the course for free (OTFC staff only).
Once you receive the code, LOG INTO THE SYSTEM via this link: https://ontariosoccer.respectgroupinc.com/secure/
2) Make Ethical Decisions
Make Ethical Decisions (MED) is a course that is required for all coaches who take LTPD Coaching Courses. All CUSC Coaches and managers are required to attend the mandatory in-class MED course, which runs approximately 3 hours in length.
To Search and Register for an MED Course:
This is an NCCP course. Completed course information can take up to 15 days to appear on your Coaches transcript in NCCP's "The Locker".
3) Making Head Way - Concussion eLearning Series
Designed to help you gain the knowledge and skills required to ensure the safety of your athletes, these NCCP Professional Development modules will make you concussion smart!
Completed course information can take up to 15 days to appear on your Coaches transcript in NCCP's "The Locker".